The life of a 20-something year old; Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blogger.

Tuesday, 10 February 2015

RECIPE: homemade vegetable soup

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share with you one of my many vegetable soup recipes today.


This is not very helpful but I basically make them all up depending on how I feel - so you can do the same! I often just grab all the leftover veggies and make soup that way.

I don't have a lot of time of my hands so I do sometimes grab some pre-cut veggies as well (carrot and swede in particular) from Tesco in the fresh section which I can't find the link to but I found this frozen mix which looks good too. I also usually use frozen spinach which I have in my smoothies too (and will talk more about this in a smoothie recipe in a couple of weeks).

This specific soup has the following ingredients:

Swede
Carrot
Onion
Leek
Mixed beans (which I think is kidney, butter and cannelloni)
Cauliflower (including all stalks)
Spinach
A garlic clove

NOTE
No portion sizes because it really depends how much you want - maybe start off with a handful of each and see how long it lasts you? - I use less leek and onion than the other ingredients just because I don't like them but you can't taste them - and also spinach which I don't like on its own, tastes yummy in the soup.


Method
On a Sunday I usually mix up a batch of soup ready for the week - it's so easy.

You just get a large pan and put the vegetables in that take the longest to cook, almost cover them in water then add a stock cube. Add each vegetable as time needs. Then use a hand blender to blend the soup to whatever consistency you like, let it cool and then store it in the fridge.

Then I pour some into the saucepan when I want it and add all the herbs and spices I fancy that day - as I mentioned in this post I always include cayenne pepper (and usually black pepper too). Sometimes I might add in some basil and some days I might add in something else! It is really up to you.

Heat the soup on a really low heat until piping hot - usually about 5 minutes.



^ There's me cooking my individual portion and deciding I want it mixed up a little more that day. Blending in a lot of spinach turns the soup a horrible green colour usually but it still tastes good!

One of these will last me the whole week for my lunches; but again its personal preference on what you like and how much you fancy!

Let me know if you make some vegetable soup or feel free to ask me any other questions.

I will do another soup recipe with exact measurements and sweet potato (so yummy) in a few weeks too.



Storage
I have soup (or salad) every day for lunch at work but we don't have a cooker so if you're in the same position as me or are often out at lunch, I definitely recommend getting one of these Thermos King Food Flask. It is amazing.

I get up in the morning and make my tea but with extra water in the kettle to pour into my flask. Then I get ready and make my soup just before leaving at 8am. I empty the hot water (which has been in there anything from 15 - 45 minutes) and pour my heated soup straight in. When opening it at around 1 - 2 pm the soup is too hot for me to eat!! It truly keeps the hot, hot.

I also have Thermos King Flask for my tea which I do at the same time as my soup and it is piping hot all day! It is definitely worth paying a bit extra for these Thermos products as they do work perfectly.


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hello! Lovely blog and looks like a yummy recipe :) I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!
    www.amandasays.org.uk/2015/02/the-versatile-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks sweetie. I'll do my response to it soon!
      xo

      Delete

© Jessica Beth Frances Barrett | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig